Using the restroom at work
Oct. 15th, 2026 11:06 pmOur Edinburgh office is one of those glassy tower blocks. I think the layout of each floor is about the same. There's an obvious men's toilet on each.
Sometimes, when I head to the restroom, I find it to be closed for cleaning, then ascend the stairs to the next floor, use the identical restroom, and forget I climbed the stairs. I come out to a vacant office where I expect mine to be (it's below), with strange symbols marked on the glass.
The abstract symbols run in a row across the glass and I presume are there to help people not walk straight into the glass pane. I walked into a pane of glass in a baptist church in Truro once and I don't recommend it.
Still, in the course of one's regular day, unexpectedly seeing all the humans gone, and a surprise run of strange symbols, is not the best experience for somebody like me who has dreamed many times of alien invasion and sometimes of infiltrating the aliens' facilities on Earth.
Sometimes, when I head to the restroom, I find it to be closed for cleaning, then ascend the stairs to the next floor, use the identical restroom, and forget I climbed the stairs. I come out to a vacant office where I expect mine to be (it's below), with strange symbols marked on the glass.
The abstract symbols run in a row across the glass and I presume are there to help people not walk straight into the glass pane. I walked into a pane of glass in a baptist church in Truro once and I don't recommend it.
Still, in the course of one's regular day, unexpectedly seeing all the humans gone, and a surprise run of strange symbols, is not the best experience for somebody like me who has dreamed many times of alien invasion and sometimes of infiltrating the aliens' facilities on Earth.
no subject
Date: 2026-10-15 10:56 pm (UTC)That sounds like something I used to do a lot. I vaguely recall that in one building, I took a fancy to the bathroom on a higher floor (less traffic, cleaner, or something... oh maybe it had regular faucets compared to those motion/heat activated ones which always give me trouble), and took to using it by default - also gaining the benefit of extra exercise climbing the stairs.
I haven't dreamt of alien invasions. But it was always surreal to walk through the offices (floors of cubicles) on other floors, similar to my floor but different. Each level helpfully had different color trim on the rugs. Some areas, you could just tell must be fun to work in, by the decorations and things posted on the pin boards.
Back then, I also had dreams of walking through the cubicles.
no subject
Date: 2026-10-16 12:43 pm (UTC)